Sunday, March 25, 2007

Batman Begins


BATMAN BEGINS in a nutshell:

End of Act 1: Wow! This is as good as big summer blockbusters get!

End of Act 2: Boy, they sure did hire a lot of great actors for supporting roles. Why did the process fail in the casting of Murphy and Holmes, who can't sell their roles? They're a negative, but I'm still enjoying the movie.

End of Act 3: Ugh; two solid thirds hurt by a final third that's just loud and ridiculous. And this movie could have been great.

Bits I liked, overall: Bale, Hauer, Caine, Freeman, Wilkinson, Oldman.
Bits I disliked, overall: Murphy, Holmes. The editing of the fight scenes (Why hire the Equilibrium guy if you aren't going to show us what he can do?). The downgrading of Sgt. Gordon to a goofball.

Verdict: Eh, it was ok.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah you pegged it pretty good, but I have too say I loved it. I of course am biased because I have had love of superheroes for many years and I think this has the ability to lead to greater things. It reminds me of X-Men 1 which lead to the much better X-men 2.
I think it is the best batman so far and it could possibly lead to better. Did you notice that very few cast memebers were from the U.S.A..
Bale,Caine,Oldman,Wilkenson,Nolan:England
Neeson, Murphy: Ireland
Watanabe: Japan
Hauer:Netherlands
and I hear Holmes will not be back, so there is that to look forward too.

Unknown said...

Well, you know, with that cast, I have high hopes for the next installment. I like to think of BATMAN BEGINS as Nolan knocking the rust off the franchise. Perhaps now he can have some fun with it.