Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Wallace & Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit

I saw first saw WALLACE & GROMIT: CURSE OF THE WERE-RABBIT on a flight out of London. It came about 13 hours into a 24-hour journey, so I was a little punchy, but that's ok. The picture was consistently entertaining, raising chuckle after chuckle. It never quite got me up to full-scale laughter (no airplane movie has done that since GALAXY QUEST), but it wasn't a bad way to spend an hour and a half. Seeing as how the other option was CHRISTMAS WITH THE CRANKS, I didn't complain.

My older boy discovered WALLACE & GROMIT: CURSE OF THE WERE-RABBIT last week. Since then, I've seen the movie, or parts thereof, uncounted times. Here's what I've learned: this is a great movie. There's a joke or two or three in every frame, with something pitched at nearly every age group.

Perhaps W&G's greatest achievement is its ability to get the horror-comedy mix just right. The scary parts are just scary enough to give kids a thrill, while never going too far. The comedy ranges from sly to broad and never lets up, and the whole affair has a kind heart and a gentle touch.

What a delight.

No comments: