Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Dirty Pretty Things

Chiwetel Ejiofor is on his way to becoming a major star. I first noticed him in MELINDA AND MELINDA, where he was easily the most magnetic actor in the film. He played a fine villain in the disappointing SERENITY, and he was extraordinary in DIRTY PRETTY THINGS, which I've just gotten around to seeing. INSIDE MAN is in my queue, and I look forward to seeing him there.

Ejiofor isn't alone in DIRTY PRETTY THINGS, of course. Audrey Tatou plays a character unlike any other I've seen her inhabit - a scared but tough Turkish immigrant trying to make her way in a cold, hostile London.

The movie itself is your standard thriller of conscience - a man is forced to choose between his principles and his desire to do right by those about whom he cares. What sets it apart is its setting, the world of London's illegal immigrant community, and its players, notably Ejiofor and Tatou. Ejiofor is both magnetic and unpredictable, and I'm not surprised that he's gotten more work. I can't wait to see what he does next.

No comments: