Friday, August 11, 2006

Undisputed

I knew, going in, that UNDISPUTED was no masterpiece. It was billed as a B-movie, a straight-up shot of testosterone featuring Ving Rhames and Wesley Snipes squaring off in a boxing ring. Hey, I like B-movies, and I'll champion BLOODSPORT well into my dotage. UNDISPUTED seemed like just the thing for a late night with my old college roommate, a couple of beers, and a bag of chips.

Unfortunately, UNDISPUTED is an abject failure. Snipes's character, supposedly the epitome of Zen cool, only made me wonder why he wore that silly hat. Rhames, for his part, does a wonderful acting job, completely divesting himself of his natural charisma. The movie itself feels clunky and leaden, providing us with unnecessary flashbacks and interruptions, and culminating in a final bout that's partially obscured by the bars and barbed wire of the cage in which it's fought. I mean, really - who makes a boxing movie, then obscures half Big Fight's action?

If you're looking for a mindless, B-grade fight movie to watch with your buddies, rent BLOODSPORT again. UNDISPUTED is not your movie.

No comments: