Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Requiem for a Dream

I'm still wrapping my head around 'Requiem for a Dream.' It wasn't a pleasant experience, to be sure. The movie deals with addiction, and it's not a pretty subject. There's a whole lot of pain on display here, and it's presented in such a compelling, artful manner that it drew me in entirely.

Probably the strangest thing about my experience with the film was the Jennifer Connely element. Earlier today, I was in a place that was screening 'Labyrinth' in the background. 'Labyrinth,' of course, stars Connely in her early adolescence. Going from that presentation to that of her as a junkie in an accelerating downward spiral is quite a transition!

This is just a quick note, of course. For an excellent full review of REQUIEM FOR A DREAM, I suggest heading over to Cinescene for Ed Owens's comments.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I still think about this movie. I saw it a while ago. I don't even know what the hell prompted me to rent the movie to begin with. What was I thinking? But I too still brood over Jennifer Connelly's character. It was just shocking.