Friday, August 04, 2006

Sideways


Alexander Payne is just not my kind of guy.

I spent most of ELECTION wishing I'd elected to be somewhere else. ABOUT SCHMIDT was about four hours too long. I can only be grateful that I haven't seen CITIZEN RUTH, thus sparing us all the discomfort of yet another tortured play on words.

Which brings us to SIDEWAYS, a movie about two unlikeable guys who go on a week's vacation and do unlikeable things to likeable people. While I found the movie to be funny at times, I just couldn't get past the fact that I didn't find these men particularly interesting.

When the most a movie has to offer is the occasional recognition of familiar locations, it's in trouble. Unfortunately, I found little else of interest in SIDEWAYS. Bummer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must be a merlot drinker. :P

Unknown said...

Hey, you're my first comment! There should be some kind of prize. :-)