Saturday, August 05, 2006

Ray

I enjoyed 'Ray' right up until the very end.

Here's a movie takes us through Ray Charles's life (or a dramatized version thereof) with sometimes agonizing detail, showing us every stage of the artist's personal and professional development. Then, at the end, the film switches from showing to telling, wrapping up the last thirty years of the guy's professional life with a couple of simple endnotes. If there was ever a time for a triumphal montage,
this was it!

Still, I won't let that spoil the film for me. Though the picture did tend to drag during the flashback scenes, it got by on a combination of Charles's music and the always-engaging "young musician on the way up" story.

Will I still be thinking about "Ray" in six months? Probably not. I will, however, still be listening to the music.

No comments: