Saturday, August 05, 2006

Blind Spot: Hitler's Secretary; Downfall

Had I seen BLIND SPOT prior to DOWNFALL, I think I may have found it fascinating. Unfortunately, things didn't work out that way, and I spent 45 minutes with my finger on the "fast forward" button.

BLIND SPOT consists of two interviews with Traudl Junger, one of Hitler's secretaries and the protagonist of DOWNFALL. In the documentary, she tells the story which would be dramatized in the later picture, but she doesn't add a great deal to the dramatic version. If you dig talking heads, this might be the movie for you. Personally, I just zipped through it, reading the subtitles at double speed.

If you've seen neither picture and are interested in Junger's story, I enthusiastically recommend DOWNFALL, which was 2005's best movie. It's a harrowing experience that makes you care about people you actively want to kill. As Hitler, Bruno Ganz delivers a career - redefining performance in a film that never lets up. In this case, dramatization is better than reality.

No comments: