Friday, January 21, 2011

North Face


When a film makes you gasp in horror because some guy drops a mitten, you know it has you.  North Face had me all the way to the credits.

North Face is a mountaineering movie about a team that attempts to scale the north face of the Eiger, “the last problem of the Alps.”    As happens in all the best mountaineering films, things go wrong.  And as happens in all the best mountaineering films, we’re right there on the face of the mountain with the athletes, feeling for a fingerhold and, yes, gasping when someone drops a mitten and realizes his hand will probably be a blackened claw by the end of the expedition.

I hesitate to tell you how things turn out and who does what, but I will tell you that North Face had me, literally, on the edge of my seat for its last twenty minutes.  If you like a cliffhanger, you’ll love North Face.

No comments: