Thursday, December 02, 2010

The Girl Who Played with Fire


I’m having trouble with The Girl Who Played with Fire.  I liked the two leads, I enjoyed seeing more of Sweden, a country I’ve only passed through on my way to other places, and I found the villain sufficiently monstrous.  But I’m still not entirely sure what happened.   I don’t understand how the ball got rolling.  I mean, one minute, Noomi Rapace’s character is living in the sun, happy as can be.  The next, she’s back in cold, cold Stockholm.  Why did she return, other than a dramatic imperative that a popular character must return to the site of its home market?  And the villains, how do they know each other, really? 

Either the source material’s weak or this film got butchered for a US release.  Either way, you’re going to have to work through a bit of muddle so you can enjoy the sleuths, who are well drawn, the settings, which are lovely, and the mystery itself.  Perhaps you can explain it to me.

No comments: