Saturday, September 27, 2008

In Bruges


IN BRUGES works because it's so remarkably well written. It has the arresting dialogue of a play, the quality of performance one expects from people who need to entrance their audience on the strength of their words alone. The fact that it also features beautiful photography of a beautiful location adds value and dimension to the proceedings, making this an altogether satisfying movie.

Further, IN BRUGES leads me to reevaluate Colin Farrell. This is the first time he's ever interested me, and I was both surprised and delighted to find him assaying such an interesting, perplexing character, at once childlike and possessed of great depth.

I liked this film's story; I liked its performances; I loved its dialogue. I'd gladly spend more time IN BRUGES.

No comments: