Saturday, August 30, 2008

Once


Do you like charming movies? Sure you do. Well, friend, you're in
luck, 'cause I've got what you need right here: loads of charm, a bit
of Euro-indie hipness, and a first-class soundtrack thrown in with no
extra charge. How much? Never mind: let's go for a spin and talk
about the details later.

So, what did you find most charming? The blending of folk and
classical music, and the ways the film used both to simultaneously
advance the plot and let us enjoy the performances? Or was it the
semi-sweet, semi-love story between two people who know well enough to
know that all the best stories are only semi-sweet and semi-love?
Personally, I was charmed by the film's shoestring feel, one which
seemed absolutely appropriate for the conditions, personal and
financial, in which its characters live. I also delighted in how, in
the context of the film, characters charmed one another.

So, yes, you may supposed that I found "Once" charming. And you'd be
right. As I wrote earlier, this is a story about people who are in
love with music, and who may fall in love with another. I fell in
love right along with them, and I plan to buy the soundtrack.

Charming.

No comments: