Sunday, April 15, 2007

Millions


I enjoyed MILLIONS well enough, but the movie just didn't capture my imagination.

Don't get me wrong: its vibrant palette and music are a pleasure to experience, its supporting cast is fine, and the 7-yr-old boy who plays the lead is so adorable I wanted to take him home to serve as a good example for my child. But I just couldn't get involved in his, or his family's, life. I'm having a hard time putting my finger on why, though I suspect that it may because I viewed it while still coming down off EVE'S BAYOU, a movie which really got me.

Not very insightful comments, I know. I offer them as a datapoint for your own decisionmaking.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No mention of the boy's haunting habit of summoning up long dead saints for conversation? A miracle is "explained" while we watch a self-absenting young man bring himself back to reality. Another "miracle"? The rest of the movie is a well made, not overly distracting vehicle for addressing serious issues in a manner that begs the question: do the "answers" really matter.

Unknown said...

Yep, those elements are surely there, but the movie failed to clear the first hurdle - that of capturing the imagination, so said elements just didn't have much of an impact.