Saturday, December 16, 2006

Beerfest

I wanted to love BEERFEST. I think SUPER TROOPERS is one of the best comedies out there and I’m one of the few people in America who actually owns the CLUB DREAD DVD. I think the Broken Lizard guys are fun to watch, they come up with great ideas, and they’re generally funny as hell.

BEERFEST, however, felt a little off. Sure, I laughed a few times, but something about the movie felt perfunctory. Its structure is so blatantly formulaic that even its copious gratuitous boob shots can’t keep us hooked in, the DAS BOOT gags get old fast, and the whole affair limps from one joke to the next with all the enthusiasm of an underprepared freshman checking all Bs on a multiple-guess exam.

Nevertheless, I did manage to laugh a few times, and there is something to be said for gratuitous boob shots. I didn’t love BEERFEST, but I guess I liked it ok.

I hear Broken Lizard is going to set its next comedy in Ancient Greece. Hopefully, I’ll be able to give that picture more than this faint praise.

No comments: