Wednesday, October 11, 2006

United 93

UNITED 93 is the most harrowing time I've had at the movies since THE BICYCLE THIEF.

I don't know if I can attribute that to the strengths of the movie itself, or whether the reaction stemmed from my memories of the events of that day. I do know that UNITED 93 makes few missteps, using a documentarian style and low-key presentation to provide an immediacy to its proceedings. Additionally, UNITED 93 nailed the atmosphere and procedures of aircrft, air traffic control rooms, and military command posts - venues in which I've had some experience.

I spent roughly the first half in the movie in profound foreboding and the second half in profound horror. At no point did I lose interest or full investment in the proceedings, and I credit this to director Paul Greengrass's clear vision and directorial eye. UNITED 93 doesn't find scapegoats or go for easy stereotypes. Rather, it shows us how things were and, in those cases in which the reality remains unknown, it shows us how things plausibly could have been.

I loved this movie. Loved it. And I never want to see it again. Just like THE BICYCLE THIEF.

No comments: