Tuesday, September 05, 2006

My Dinner with Andre

I don't think I can approach MY DINNER WITH ANDRE with anything like a critical eye. (Yeah, yeah, I know. Since when have I had a critical eye?) Here's the problem: Andre is a dead ringer for a friend of mine named Dan. He looks the same. He dresses the same. He speaks in the same cadences. He's deeply, profoundly engaged with life, and he loves to share his ideas with his friends, even when he exasperates them.

Dan's been dead for three years, now. I miss him. MY DINNER WITH ANDRE was, in a weird way, like getting an extra couple of hours with the guy. I don't know when I'll see the movie again, but it's good to know that it's out there. Maybe when I'm ready for another conversation.

Technical note: the disk I saw was of a very bad print. If there's a special edition out there, you might want to go with that.

No comments: