Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Jersey Girl

I liked JERSEY GIRL.

I shouldn't have. In fact, I should have hated it on principle. As near as I can tell, movies are made by some of the most ambitious, industrious, focused people on earth. In a business as cutthroat as the film industry, it takes extraordinary dedication to rise to the top. That's why it irks me when films say, "Hey, settle for second best - it's ok. The important thing is spending time with your family." Much as I may agree with the message, the fact that the messengers are a bunch of 14-hr-day espresso junkies strikes me as hypocritical, at best.

Ok, rant over. Back to the movie. Kevin Smith writes movies that are huge with the college demographic. He's big on drug and sex jokes, and he has a flair for the ridiculous. With 'Jersey Girl', he turns his back on that demographic, writing a story that comes from where he is today: a young father trying to juggle the competing demands of work and family. JERSEY GIRL is a more mature piece (well, it has fewer dick and fart jokes), and it's generally successful. Sure, it has some glaring flaws, such as George Carlin's entire performance, an extended rehash of the old "diapers are nasty" comedy formula, and a soundtrack that interferes with the film, rather than reinforce it. Nevertheless, it has a certain sweetness to it, Smith's dialogue is always a pleasure to hear, and it manages to erase the bad taste Liv Tyler has left in my mouth ever since ONE NIGHT AT MCCOOL'S. JERSEY GIRL may not have worked with the college demographic, but it worked for me.

No comments: